Dear Ryan,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Ryan Hinton <iob...@email.com> wrote:
> Where are the comparison operators for graphs implemented?  I can find
> ``__eq__`` in graphs/generic_graph.py, but I can't find any others.

There is also __ne__.

Comparison was implemented in Sage for a while, but we changed from
using __cmp__ to using __eq__ and __ne__ in #2433 (March 2008). You
may remember #2506 as fallout of this patch. This was originally
requested in #729, and erroneously that ticket points to #749 as its
duplication-- #749 in fact does not replace the __cmp__ function.

The patch at #2433 is simply a link (to an extinct file) because the
file was too big to upload-- this was a major overhaul ticket. For the
full changeset, see the mercurial repo:

http://hg.sagemath.org/sage-main/rev/dbe53cb3e5f7

I still feel like it is silly to implement six different functions
instead of a __cmp__ function. Why was it ever suggested that this
should change in the first place? I think we should certainly support
some arbitrary total ordering on graphs, and I don't see why it
shouldn't be via a __cmp__ function.

Jason-- You originally requested this. Why?

I'd be happy to reimplement <, etc. for graphs but would like to know
the correct way to do so.

--
Robert L. Miller
http://www.rlmiller.org/