The option to build spkg's in Sage in parallel has been available for quite
a while now, but it has to be enabled by setting the shell variable
SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD equal to "yes".  Should we change the default,
building in parallel unless this variable is explicitly set to "no" (or
"n")?  I propose that we do.  Are there objections to this?

Note any setting of this variable has no effect unless you tell 'make' to
build in parallel by doing something like 'export MAKE="make -j4" ' (or as
Leif might suggest, something like 'MAKE="make -j4 -l2.5" && export
MAKE').  I am not suggesting changing this behavior: you would still have
to set MAKE yourself.

--
John