Hi Maarten,

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:28:47 -0800 (PST)
Maarten Derickx <m.derickx.stud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was merging my new ipython spkg wich needed review for some time
> already at http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11235 but now
> needs work because in the time that it needed review some people
> made http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11460 and upgraded
> ipython. Now I noticed that in the new spkg they use patch in the
> spkg-install file (it was not in the old spkg-install) but in the
> developer guide they there is explicitly stated to not use
> it:
> http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/patching_spkgs.html#use-cp-for-patching.
> But there is no explanation why one should not do that, so can
> someone tell me why? Because using patch seems much more logical to
> me.

This used to be the case to avoid a dependency on the patch tool. At
some point, patch was included in Sage (see sage-devel archives). I
guess no one updated the documentation since then.

Can you open a ticket for the documentation update if there isn't
already one?

Cheers,
Burcin