Who knows about pexpect and Sage's use of it?  I certainly don't.  I
think a "big project" to review/refactor the pexpect interfaces is in order.

Several doctests involving pexpect are very flaky and cause regular
non-reproducible failures.  My impression is also that they are becoming
more and more common (but that could be subjective due to the fact that
we see less other failures).

I am in particular struggling with #12221: somehow #11073 (remove the
spkg/base repo) causes a lot of failures in the gp pexpect interface.  I
have been looking at this for days but don't understand what is going
on.  The fact that the failures are non-reproducible makes debugging a
lot harder.

So any help (or pointers to help) is appreciated,
Jeroen.