On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 13:23:19 -0800 (PST)
John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Various aspects of building Sage might be cleaner if we used autoconf:
>
>   ./configure  OPTIONS
>   make
>
> OPTIONS could include a location to install Sage, various flags for
> building ATLAS, and other options which we currently control by
> setting environment variables. For typical users, we should aim for
>
>   ./configure
>   make
>
> to work. We should also continue to use the current environment
> variables--no need to remove them, just provide another way of
> setting them. Should we vote?
>
>  [ ]  Switch to autoconf
>  [ ]  Keep the current build system

There was a similar discussion earlier:

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/t/b2ece135b42b5d98

The SEP Ralf wrote is also mentioned in that thread:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/AutoToolsSEP

IMHO, moving the checks from prereq to a top level configure file makes
sense. I used a waf script to handle this in lmonade:

https://bitbucket.org/burcin/lmnd-prefix/src/tip/scripts/wscript

Cheers,
Burcin