On Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:12:19 PM UTC-8, John H Palmieri wrote:

> We have another small problem with Lion. I just wiped my hard drive and
> reinstalled Lion (because of some non-Sage related issues). Then I
> reinstalled Xcode: the newly released version 4.3.  Two issues:
> command-line tools are no longer installed by default, so you have to
> install gcc, clang, etc., by running Xcode, choosing "Preferences",
> clicking the "Downloads" tab, and installing "Command Line Tools".  Next,
> there is now no longer a /Developer directory, which means that the command
> xcodebuild (which is run by the prereq script) may fail to report the
> correct version of Xcode. So from the shell, you need to run
>
>   $ xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
>
> (and you may need to run this via sudo).  So these instructions need to be
> added to the installation guide or the README.txt file.
>
> For the second issue, it might instead be better to figure out the version
> of Xcode some other way in the prereq script (and anywhere else this is
> done, like maybe the current python spkg).
>
> This version of Xcode has new versions of gcc and clang, so I'm trying to
> compile with those to see if it makes any difference.

On the plus side, on the laptop where I had problems before, Sage built and
passed all doctests using the default compiler:

$ gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build
5658) (LLVM build 2336.9.00)

I'm going to build with SAGE_CHECK=yes to see what packages fail
self-tests, but Apple seems to have fixed some of their compiler bugs in
this latest release.

--
John