On Tuesday, 30 April 2013 22:35:18 UTC+8, Volker Braun wrote:

> You shouldn't make patches by hand, its easy to make diffs between any two
> revisions once you have checked in everything.

sure, I can do this. But I don't want to mess around with carrying over the
spkg's metafiles/scripts hg
history in a special repo.
And if I can fake the history the way libGAP does, why can't I do the
rest the way libGAP does it?

> At least you have an
> upstream source tarball, GAP thinks of itself also as a distribution of
> mathematical software...
>
> Is its still under the "Common Public License"? IBM at one point agreed to
> supersede it with the EPL.

the license is imposed on the CSDP author by his employer. He told me he
doesn't think it's possible to change.

> In the end, the question is whether you just want to build a spkg or if
you
> want to fork upstream. Both approaces have advantages and disadvantages.

I want CSDP to be easy to build, both in and out of Sage.
Actually, many files are touched, as I changed the layout of headers to
make it easy to pick up with autotools. (and so #includes get changed
too)
Call it  chopsticks... :)

Dima