Le dimanche 7 juillet 2013 10:39:30 UTC+2, vdelecroix a écrit :

> Cool! It looks nice. How do you intend to define a manifold: numerically
> (via fine triangulations) or via symbolic expressions? Both?

At the moment, a manifold is mostly defined as a set of charts with the
associated transition maps, the latter being given by symbolic expressions.
But why not adding the possibility to define a manifold numerically as you
mention ?

> Are you aware of #9439 (hyperbolic geometry) and #10132 (surfaces embedded
> in R^3) which are somewhat related?

Thanks for pointing these two packages; they are definitevely relevant to
our project. I did not know #9439 and will give a look. Regarding #10132,
it differs from SageManifolds in various points:
- the chart on the surface is fixed, as well as the chart in the embedding
space (R^3), while in SageManifolds various charts can be used on the same
manifold; also various vector frames can be used to expand tensors, not
only coordinate bases.
- it implements extrinsic geometry, which SageManifolds does not do yet
(but should do soon) (cf. Joris Vankerschaver's message).

Eric.