Thanks for the thoughtful replies. It's a fine line between being critical
of the idea and dismissive of the students. Please everyone limit
yourselves to criticizing the idea, as students might come to this thread
later.
I don't think one should dismiss the students. Look at the Mathworks
competition (another thing MATLAB does!), as it is described in Nielsen's
book "Reinventing Dicovery". There is a history there of microcontributions
on code leading to optimised code.
There is also two assumptions in your emails:
1) that they will all have just learned python: the course might be just
the right blend of mathematics and CS so that some participants actually a
background in python. On top, one can modulate the difficulty progressively
to make sure to attract some students who actually have a strong python
background already (in MOOCs, there are always some experts lurking)
2) that I would let them choose the topic. Not so. For the specifics of how
the course will be run, I need to bring the discussion out of the mailing
list.

As William points out, small contributions are important (example in
docstring) and the process is currently suboptimal.
I would add that other small contributions could be important, such as
semantic information coming from professional mathematicians who have just
learned utter basics of python, to have a mere sense of how the decorator
they have just added will affect the method itself. For this, existing
annotation tools suffice.

Paul

Paul-Olivier Dehaye
SNF Professor of Mathematics