Seems like some people forget that, you have to play the game in order to
be successful. The game could broadly be described as: navigating the
framework of society. That framework whether you like it or not, is and
likely will continue to be composed largely of money.

The game consists for everyone, as we all play it, and of anything really,
buying milk at the grocery store, making a product
successful/popular/accessible etc, there are boundaries and limits that as
mentioned, are usually monetary in nature.  Hopefully this makes sense so
far lol.

One of the limits that Sage has encountered against so far, as William
explicitly points out, is money. Sage MathCloud (SMC) among other things,
makes Sage more accessible to people as no local installation is needed,
among other benefits. The barrier to entry to having access to a world
class piece of mathematics software, is incredibly low with SMC.

Back to the game side of things, all the benefits of SMC came and and
continue to come at a cost, the servers and infrastructure cost money.
That's easy to forget if you use SMC just as a black box sort of thing. But
how else would you do this without cost? Make some sort of distributed
Computer Algebra System or something? There is no way else, there will
always be a cost, money, in trying to acheive Sage's Mission: *Creating a
viable free open source alternative to Magma, Maple, Mathematica and
Matlab.*

William even explicitly mentions having to play the game in his blog post.
If you don’t play the game, you lose. Just as an example, since it Magma
gets brought up alot, as per Magma's Website:

Availability of a student version

> A student version of Magma is available. The only difference between it
> and the full version is that the memory usage is restricted to 150MB. The
> student version is now *only available* through *educational institutions*.
> See (ii) — (iv) below.
>
> We regret to announce that the supply of a restricted version of Magma for
> a small price to students enrolled at a college or university has been
> *discontinued* for the time being. The costs associated with distributing
> and supporting the student versions have become far greater than the income
> received from student licences and we are not in a position to
> cross-subsidise these costs.

> Developing countries
>
> Users from newly industrialised and developing countries may apply for
> Magma licences at a reduced rate, by special agreement.

I have no idea what Magma's Mission is, and it doesnt matter, as im not
comparing/contrasting them here, i just post that from their website to
show people, detractors/haters of SMC that theres others in the game as
well, trying to achieve whatever their goal is, but bound by same limits as
sage, money. Sage's Mission, its goal, is lofty, so if your a person that
loves sage but hates all or just some of SMC, then your free to never use
SMC and can just view it as *playing the game*.