The way that the info is stored in the downloadable knot altas is explained
here:

http://katlas.math.toronto.edu/wiki/The_Take_Home_Database

I don't know about the snappy databse. But i agree it would be cool to have
it. Right now it goes beyond the scope of the knotr/link module, but
maybein the future we could add  3- and 4-manifolds to sage. That would be
a even a harder work than the basic knots we are working on, though.