On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:14:43 AM UTC-7, Harald Schilly wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:25:08 PM UTC+1, parisse wrote:
>>
>> Just curious: what is the algorithm used by sage here?
>> I have tried Bareiss, modular and p-adic with giac, and Bareiss seems the
>> fastest: 0.02s on my Mac, vs about 1s for (proven) modular/p-adic.
>> sage 6.3 returns the answer in 0.12s on my computer, while Maxima takes
>> 15s.

Interesting.  On my computer, determinant(mm) takes 13.9 seconds in Maxima.
 If I set ratmx:true, the
time is 0. 25 seconds.   Doing the computation in bigfloats takes 10
seconds.

Actually I would not expect ginormous integer determinants to be especially
efficient; major effort has been expended in Maxima programming for
determinants
of matrices that are sparse with polynomial or rational function entries.

I do not know that any modular methods have been put in there.