I'm not sure that fricas *has* to be a package : the current versins (6.4,
6.5beta) already have the fricas interface compiled in :

/usr/local/sage-6.5/src/build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/sage/interfaces/fricas.py
/usr/local/sage-6.5/src/sage/interfaces/fricas.py
/usr/local/sage-6.5/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/interfaces/fricas.py
/usr/local/sage-6.5/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/interfaces/fricas.pyc

and fricas() calls a possible systemwide fricas. Successfully. Therefore
fricas has the same "Sage status" as Mathematica, Magma or Matlab.

However, the fricas interface lacks a .fricas() method for getting the (a)
fricas-palatable representation of some objects. It also lacks somethong to
avid the "ascii_art" default output of fricas, which is quite unparsable by
the sage() method (which exists).

I also saw somewhere on the list the suggestion of a "algorithm=fricas"
option to integrate(), which seems a very good idea.

Nevertheless, having a fricas package which might replace a systemwide
fricas installation might help its disemination.

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier