Hello,

My argument against making the 'name' argument for FiniteField optional was
that it hides the fact that the generator of a finite field is not
canonical.  On the other hand, once an algebraic closure of GF(p) has been
fixed, there is a unique subfield of p^n elements for every n.  Hence I
would like to propose that if the user does not specify a name, then the
constructor should return the unique subfield of the relevant degree inside
the chosen algebraic closure.  In other words, for all n > 1 we should have

GF(p, n) = GF(p^n) = GF(p).algebraic_closure().subfield(n)[0]

With this convention, an added benefit is that the distinguished generator
of GF(p, n) is called 'z' + str(n), which is less likely to be confusing
than just 'z'.  For example:

sage: GF(3).algebraic_closure().subfield(5)[0]
Finite Field in z5 of size 3^5

Peter