> The following changed behaviour leads to a few fails:
>
> sage: a,b = var('a b')
> sage: abs(sqrt(x))
> sqrt(abs(x))
> sage: sqrt(abs(x)^2)
> sqrt(x*conjugate(x))
> sage: abs(x)^2
> x*conjugate(x)

What does Maxima do with these?  I know that there has been endless
discussion of what to do with things involving abs, square, and sqrt.

> sage: A = abs((a+I*b))^2
> sage: A
> (a + I*b)*(conjugate(a) - I*conjugate(b))
> sage: A.canonicalize_radical()
> a^2 + b^2

Given the history of radcan I wouldn't necessarily worry about this, though
what the previous behavior is would be worth looking at.

> sage: imag(A)
> 0
> sage: imag(A.canonicalize_radical())
> 2*imag_part(a)*real_part(a) + 2*imag_part(b)*real_part(b)
> sage:  f = sqrt(abs(x)^2); f.canonicalize_radical()
>
> Reason is probably these commits:
>
> https://github.com/pynac/pynac/commit/b645d3c200e74531f735d786259d043cbffe758a
>
> https://github.com/pynac/pynac/commit/565d0c3307b708cc266d27d3d1344e6de9fbc513

This one looks worth doctesting, actually, if there is a way to get
Py/Ginac's assumption framework operating.