> > If you ever get tired of raising the issue, maybe you could try doing
> > something about it.

<defensive>

I think in this case the defensive is understandable.

> I have done things about the issues with optional packages.
> For example, I wrote
>
>     https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc-public/blob/master/build.py
>
> which I run with each new release, and which automates installing
> every optional package I think people request or care about.   I've
> reported a lot of issues
> as a result.

Hmm, that sounds like something that would be very useful to have as part
of the release process itself.  Does it only work in SMC, though?  (And if
so, maybe it's not going to catch all binary things since linking etc.
would all be identical on identical SMC instances?  Excuse me if I
overreach, because obviously I don't understand the internals of SMC too
well, just wondering.)