Hi!

I have asked the following in the thread about my optional spkg, but
perhaps it is better to open a new thread.

Recently, there have been changes in the output format of things. For
example:
  sage: set([1,2])
  {1, 2}
(which used to be displayed as set([1, 2]) )
  sage: R = singular.ring()
  sage: singular.eval('degBound = 0')
  ''
(which strangely used to return the given input string).

My question is how to deal with consequences of such changes for
optional packages. I would not necessarily assume that the user of the
latest version of an optional spkg also has the latest version of
SageMath.
Hence, if the optional spkg expects the output format of the latest
SageMath version, its test suite would fail on an older SageMath
version, even when it actually works fine on the old version (after all,
only the output has changed).

What should be done in this case?
 1. Shall one write the doctests so that both formats will be accepted
    ---but how?
 2. Shall the install script of the optional package refuse to build on
    old versions of SageMath?
 3. Shall the test script of the optional package abort the test when an
    old version of SageMath is used?
 4. None of the above?

Best regards,
Simon