Boost.SIMD library looks very promising!
I would expect that within a few years, SIMD instruction sets continue to
become
more regular and useful, and that tools like Boost.SIMD will become more
widely
available and useful...and who knows, maybe even a part of C++...
So I'd rather wait until that happens before diving in to all of the
current muck...
Hopefully, I won't be too old to write  code :-)