On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 2:50 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 1:27 AM, Thierry
> <sage-googlesu...@lma.metelu.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 05:42:55PM -0800, William Stein wrote:
>>> Hi Sage Developers,
>>>
>>> Can somebody *PLEASE* volunteer to move trac.sagemath.org and
>>> wiki.sagemath.org to a VM on GCE and maintain it for a while?
>>
>> I already volonteered for this so i guess it is useless to answer again.
>>
>> Actually, the following is currently done:
>> - contact people working on ask.sagemath.org and mmarco (who set up
>>   letsencrypt for the wiki), most seemed to be in as well (+dimpase now)
>> - ask for 2 fresh VM to my university:
>>   http://sagewiki.lipn.univ-paris13.fr/
>>   http://sagetrac.lipn.univ-paris13.fr/
>
> This would seem to imply that noone outside Paris 13 would be able to log in
> to these VMs, or one would be at mercy of often unpredictable university
> administration  in this regard.
> My experience with French universities is that they are often not at all happy
> to give meaningful computer access to me as an official visitor, them
> allowing arbitrary people having root access on their computers sounds
> very unusual.
> In this sense choice of GCE seems to make much better sense.

Thierry -- many thanks for getting a backup setup and doing work on
this.  I really appreciate your work.

I agree with Dima though.  We will host on GCE. I've already setup the
GCE project and added Dima, I'm willing to pay for it indefinitely,
and I can add numerous people to the project from all over the world,
and they will have full access.  By hosting on GCE, we get a lot of
advantages beyond just making it easy for any project member to add
other admins.   For example, it is very, very easy to make snapshots
of disk images (and/or tarballs) that are globally distributed.  It's
also easier for us to scale up or down or move the geographic location
of the servers.

Thierry -- I'm also happy with adding you if you can send me an
@gmail.com address (and confirm that you setup 2-factor auth on it).
However, if you have a fundamental opposition to using any Google
technology (your email is "sage-googlesucks@..."), then I understand,
and will work to find other support.

William (wst...@gmail.com)

William (http://wstein.org)