Maxima has bigfloats in which the exponent is an arbitrary size integer, so
overflow
requires you to fill up RAM with the exponent.
The IEEE machine floats do something very specific that is death to "real
number"
representation, which is there are not enough bits.  e.g. 64 bits can
hardly be enough
for all the reals.  And then some of the configurations are not real
numbers at all --
infinities, NaNs.
Sage numbers presumably are not limited to 64 bits, and so some of the
compromises
forced on the IEEE 754 designers need not be part of the design.  MPFR does
some of
this, but it too has limits e.g. cannot represent certain real numbers.
 Like pi, e, or
(at least in binary)  1/3.

Much of the detailed description of operations in the IEEE754 standard is
lost
in some programming languages. I don't know about Python 3 or whatever Sage
is using now.  But NaNs are unordered,  and in particular if x is a NaN, it
is
not equal to x.

There is a partial calculus that allows for rational number-like objects
including 1/0, -1/0, 0/0,  0/1, 0/(-1).  Which I've written about. And
implemented.
It can be read into the Maxima part of Sage.

RJF