On 24/05/16 07:48, John Cremona wrote:
On 24 May 2016 at 13:17, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
On 2016-05-24 14:06, John Cremona wrote:

Would it be possible for

sage: a=3
sage: print a

to work on the command line, using the preparser?

That already works today.

But would it still work after a total conversion of Sage to Python 3?

Most Sage users do not care a fig about Python versions, but will care
if after 10 years of being able to type "print a" they are suddenly
forced into typing "(print(a)".  Iwas thinking about this from a user
perspective not a developer perspective.

I agree with John. We should add a DeprecationWarning in the Sage preparser right now for "print X, Y, Z" and make it such that "print(X, Y, Z)" really behaves like Python 3.

Nothing will change with .py files. But in the console, notebook and .sage files users would be noticed.

Vincent

If you want that to continue working, it's better to not switch to Python 3
style printing. It's kind of silly to change Sage to use Python 3 printing
and at the same time add a hack to support Python 2 printing. Better stick
with Python 2 printing then...