I agree that losing a standard package for failing to build it on one
particular target would be bad.

>From Trac#20523 <https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/20523> :

Replying to [comment:11 embray]:
On Cygwin I needed to `apt-cyg install liblzma-devel` (if you have
`apt-cyg`, otherwise use setup as normal).  Without the `-devel` package it
doesn't install the import library, so `-llzma` doesn't work (`-llzma.dll`
should though).

Okay. I just checked on my (Linux) system : xz is not installed in the
$(SAGE_ROOT) tree, probably because I have it installed at system level and
the build script detects that somehow. (BTW : it is an *optional* package.

Therefore, what is needed is :
a. ensure that xz *and its development files* are installed, either in the
system or in the Sage package) ;
b. that this is done *before* the R installation begins ; and
c. that R installation *depends* on xz being somehow available.

This can be simplified, at the expense of making xz a *standard* package,
just by ensuring that xz is installed *before* R compilation.

I have little idea on how to proceed, since the Sage build system is still
a (large) bit obscure to me. What I need is a way to check in the Makefile
that xz and its development files are available, install xz if not (can an
optional package be installed before the compilation of standard packages
is finished ?), and make the R compilation dependent on this target.

Any ideas or advice ?