Kwankyu Lee wrote:
> This happened to me. My patch for a ticket passed the doctesting by a
> patchbot A but afterward failed by another patchbot B. The reason was
> that the patchbot B has an optional package installed, and hence ran the
> optional doctests for the installed package, and my patch failed some of
> the optional doctests.
>
> If it were not for the patchbot B, my patch might have been merged into
> Sage, and make those optional doctests potential failures. I was fortunate.
>
> Was I fortunate or do we have any provision that as many as optional
> doctests are run by patchbots? Perhaps the former is the case.
>
> My suggestion is that every owner of a patchbot should install as many
> as optional packages into the system. Better than that, a patchbot
> should make it sure that it automatically installs every working
> optional packages into its base Sage before starting its work. Would
> this be possible?

Note that we'd have to do both, testing with *and* without (each)
optional package.

While for example the optional LiE package is completely broken even in
the "stable" 7.3 release due to an unrelated patch where apparently
nobody checked, there are tests that behave pretty different when an
optional package *is* installed, meaning that /default/ Sage
implementations are bypassed and hence not tested (in that context at
least), which isn't always as obvious.

For a while at least, William tried to install as many optional packages
on SMC as possible, and regularly tested each beta IIRC.  Not sure if
that's still the case.

-leif