By default, Singular uses 16 bit exponents. But it is perfectly capable of
working with exponents up to 64 bits. That will be slower of course.

I guess it isn't easy for Sage to change the relevant ring upon overflow to
one using 64 bit exponents.

I can't say whether it would be easy or hard for Singular to automatically
change the exponent size for you. For basic arithmetic, I have implemented
precisely this in the code I've been writing. But Singular is almost
infinitely more complex than the very simple cases I've been dealing with
in my own code. At this stage I couldn't even hazard a guess.

I'll ask Hans if I remember. But either way, I believe this would be an
*extremely* time consuming thing to fix. How important is it?

Bill.