On 11 October 2016 at 01:03, Victor Shoup <sh...@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> First, you are definitely wrong about punch cards. I started programming
> with Fortran on punch cards in the 70s.

Punch cards?  They were a great  advance on paper tape which is what
*I* started on.   To correct a typo in your program you had to  read
the whole tape in, make the correction, and punch out a whole new
tape!  Cards were so much easier as you could just replace one card.
That was 1970 I think....

> Second, a complete transition to auto tools still feels like overkill at
> this point.
> But I agree that it could come one day.

With a lot of help (from people on this thread and for the same
reasons) I went through that agony with eclib.  I don't regret it but
I would not want to do it again!

John