On Fri, 14 Oct 2016, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

As far as I know, the only real use-case for milestone is a milestone like `sage-duplicate/invalid/wontfix` or `sage-pending`. I think that every milestone of the form `sage-X.Y` is essentially treated equivalently.

I normally use "sage-N" and mark myself as the author when I plan to do something in near future, and "sage-(N+1)" rarely when I guess that version N will be out before I got something done. I have used "sage-wishlist" few times when I have an idea. If I report a bug, I use "sage-N" and left author-field empty if I am not sure that I'll make patch myself.

 * * *

But we don't have any plans like "Version 8 will be out about q1/2018 and will have mostly more support for numerical linear algebra.", and so milestones are not really used.

--
Jori Mäntysalo