It would be great to let the user choose when to use system libraries
instead of building our own, whether its curl or gmp.
A problem coming to my mind to have a simple --with-curl=[system|build]
working.

For packages that will still be built and use curl, what we currently do,
at least for packages using autotools or standard configure/make/make
install strategies, is that we pass --with-curl=$SAGE_LOCAL or something
like that.
Now if we allow curl to be either in $SAGE_LOCAL or in a sytem-wide default
path we cannot go this way.

Using --with-curl=`pkgconfig --lib curl` (or whatever pkgconfig syntax is)
might do the trick for libs providing pkgconfig files (once we make sure
Sage or systemwide pkgconfig looks first in $SAGE_LOCAL, then in systemwide
dirs).

Another solution is to globally tweak CFLAGS and LDFLAGS but that will be
hell.

How does sage-on-gentoo deal with this?