On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 10:49:17 PM UTC-7, Travis Scrimshaw wrote:

> On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 5:06:58 PM UTC-5, Brett Olsen wrote:
>>
>> This was a known bug in line_profiler that is fixed with the 2.0 release.
>>  Try upgrading to line_profiler==2.0 and let us know if there's still a
>> problem.
>>
>> Yes, upgrading fixed it. Thank you!
>
> Best,
> Travis

For anyone else who is interested, here is what I did to get this to work
on OS X:

  sage -i openssl   # since pip complains about no ssl module in the Python
build
  sage -f python2

Then

  sage -pip install line_profiler

installs a version of line_profiler, specific to OS X, which is broken as
far as I can tell. At least it didn't work for me; if I tried %lprun at the
Sage command line, it would respond like this:

  sage: %lprun?
  Object `%lprun` not found.
  sage: %lprun
  ERROR:root:Line magic function `%lprun` not found.

So I went to https://pypi.python.org/pypi/line_profiler/, downloaded the
source code as a tarball, and did

  sage -pip install /path/to/tarball

Now it works.