On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 02:50:15PM +0000, Tobias Hansen wrote:
> On 12/07/2016 01:26 PM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> If you look at the patch [1] that was applied, there is a new check for
> tp_new(). I'm not 100% sure that's what causes the problem, but it looks
> suspicious.
>
> [1] https://bugs.python.org/file45526/update_one_slot2-2.7.patch

This seems very similar to the issue that Julien Cristau (in CC) had
stumbled into this Spring while trying to run Sage on top of a then
recent Python. That version of Python included a patch at exactly the
same line in Objects/typeobject.c. Julien argued that this patch was
backward incompatible and it got reverted:

        https://bugs.python.org/issue25731

It seems it has come back in a new form. Julien: any opinion on that
new form? Is it a backward incompatible patch in Python that could be
argued to be reverted / fixed? If yes, is there any chance to make
this happen given the extremely tight schedule that we have?

I am going to dig in further tomorrow on the Sage side in search for a
workaround. As usual, the more eyeballs, the better.

Cheers,
                Nicolas

PS: thanks Tobias for the ping!

--