On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Emmanuel Charpentier
<emanuel.charpent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> This is a followup on the threads dedicated to the alternatives existing to
> use Sage math on Windows. More specifically, I did an informal comparison of
> Erik Bray's Cygwin-based installer and using Windows 10 64 bits Windows
> Subsystem for Linux.
>
> I recently acquired (for other, unrelated, purposes) a small (< 11") and
> light (<800g) notebook, bound to become (literally) a pocket machine. This
> machine has an Atom z5 processor (1,4 MHz), 4 Gb memory and a 128 Gb SSD. It
> starts with Win10 64 bit ("home edition").
>
> It is still too new to be well-supported by common "live" distributions :
>
> Ubuntu boots its initial screen (rotated pi/2), allowing to start the "live"
> system, but never displays anything else.
> Debian (which needs to be installed on an UEFI-enabled USB key, see there)
> starts with displaying its initial screen rotated pi/2, goes a long way in
> its booting process, starts its graphical mode (still rotated pi/2), but
> ends up crashing gnome.
>
> So I decided to give Win10 a chance.
>
> Cygwin
>
> Erik Bray's installer for Sage 7.4 works flawlessly, and results in a
> usable, if slow, Sage notebook. However, I never managed to get a prompt on
> (native port of)emacs' sage_shell_mode.
> Furthermore, as far as I understand, installing an optional package
> requiring compilation is not obvious...

Thanks for the testing.  I don't have too much to say about WSL except
what I've said before--which is that I think it (will be) great for
doing development on Windows, but it is *not* a solution for software
distribution to users.

You mentioned a "slow Sage notebook".  Was this the Jupyter notebook
that it comes with a shortcut to? Or the sagenb?  If the latter, I
know it works but I don't know if it's slow or not.  If it was the
former, I've noticed that it is slow on the first couple commands
because the Sage Kernel takes a long time to start up (I wish there
were a clearer indication that it is still loading), but after that it
should be snappy.

Did you also test plotting?  It should work, but one or two people
have reported it not working (it should work as long as your Windows
has a default program registered for viewing PNGs or whatever file
type the plots are saved as).

Finally, I don't know anything about emacs except how to get out of
it.  If you cold tell me more about this "sage_shell_mode" maybe I can
do something about it, though I suspect it's not really something in
scope of the Windows installer.