On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Jori Mäntysalo <jori.mantys...@uta.fi> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2017, Kwankyu Lee wrote:
>
>>       As an example, I could put something like this for 8.0:
>>
>>       - Finite lattices now have function to compute congruence, and
>> several
>>       congruence-related functions like quotient lattice, lattice of
>> congruences
>>       and checks if a lattice is regular, uniform or isoform.
>

>> This is a nice example (if you remove the "part of that is already on
>> 7.6."). Actually I think 2-3 sentences note should be enough. But the
>> appropriate length would of course depend on the ticket.
>

> This was done in ~10 bigger ticket and another ~10 with small modifications.
> As an example see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21861
>
> Hence the ticket system would be wrong place for this. For something like
> this we should have a wiki page. It should have short guidelines, mostly
> "Keep it simple and short!!!". It should concentrate on user viewpoint: It
> may be that a backend function for version 8.1 takes much work and a
> interface function for version 8.2 is quite trivial; then the developer
> should say nothing in the highlights of 8.1.

I don't think the ticket system is necessarily the wrong place.  It
would be trivial to add a field to the ticket to accept a changelog
entry (on Astropy hardly a feature / bug fix is allowed to be merged
without a decent changelog entry).

The one exception is something that is fixed between releases during
development--i.e. a change that does not represent a fix since the
last release.

For big changes consisting of multiple tickets there should generally
be a meta-ticket to organize things anyways, and that's where the
release notes should go.