On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 2:01:25 AM UTC-7, François wrote:

> Actually there has been some work on enabling sage to be built and
> installed in a prefix that isn’t under SAGE_ROOT. This is why we now
> have sage-env-config.
> So you could do a run of configure of sage with python2 and install it
> in $prefix_python2 and then do the same for python3 but install it
> in $prefix_python3. Out of the same source tree.
> Some cleaning may be required between builds, I haven’t actually worked
> on the functionality myself.

In addition to the recently implemented feature `./configure --prefix=...`
that you mention above, we would also need out-of-tree builds (VPATH
builds); this is the standard autotools mechanism for having several build
configurations from one source tree. (No cleaning in between builds will be
required with this method; the source tree is always clean.) There is
initial work in this direction on this ticket:
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21469 (it needs rebasing and updating).