On 2017-08-12, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:

> seems to me that asking for the "sign" of b^(1/3) in the complex domain
> is nonsense.

sign(c - (b*c)^(1/3)) actually was encountered when Maxima was trying to
find the sign of some other expression. When domain = complex,
SIGNDIFF-SPECIAL alternates between sign(c - (b*c)^(1/3)) and sign(c^3 -
b*c) (which was a subexpression of the one the user was actually
interested in). See my message to maxima-discuss about this.

best

Robert Dodier