drkir...@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> > On 1 Sep 2017 23:21, "John H Palmieri" <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone use the environment variables SAGE64 of CFLAG64? At
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/23733, it is suggested that they be
deprecated and then removed. Any comments?

> > > --
> > > John
> >
> > They are necessary if one attempts to build a 64 bit version on
Solaris. I think they might be used on some versions of OSX too, but I am
not sure about that.

> > I would say that they should not be removed.
> >
> > I never managed to get a reliable 64 bit version on Solaris, but at one
point the 32-bit version passed all the doctests.

> Not needed on OS X. Do you still do stuff on solaris?
> Do you need it for solaris 64 because the default is to compile 32bits?
>
> François

I still run Solaris as my main OS. I have not done any Sage development for
some time,  but do intend restarting.

Yes, the default is to build 32 bits, even on a 64-bit OS.

I could have swore that it was used on at least same versions of OSX. I
would need to look at the Sage source code, but am in bed using my mobile
phone,  that will have to wait until the morning.

Dave.