I think there is utility in leaving github.com/sagemath/sage as it is:

   - It's easy to navigate using the GitHub web interface, whereas the
   entire trac server repo is not. (Try browsing the branches.)
   - It gives direct, no-nonsense access to releases, RC's, and beta's.

Having a full GitHub mirror of the trac server repo is also useful for the
reasons you've already mentioned. So maybe have
github.com/sagemath/sagetrac-mirror in addition to github.com/sagemath/sage.

Best,

Robert