On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave
Ltd) <drkir...@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2017 00:39, "William Stein" <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 4:35 PM Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd)
>> <drkir...@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> There are a lot of number theorists using Sagemath. Could one or more
>>> consider implementing the functionality of OpenSSL in a re-write? Maybe a
>>> Google Summer of Code project?
>>

>> Absolutely not.   That's not how security software works (and would be
>> insulting to the OpenSSL developers).   You are **epically** understimating
>> what OpenSSL is and does.
>
> I don't see how it is insulting to someone to say we like what you have
> done,  but need a different licence model, so will need to implement the
> algoithms ourselves.
>
> How is that materially different to Octave implementing MATLAB functionality
> but under an open source licence?
>
> I feel an unacceptable licence and/or a broken implementation on one
> platform (OSX) are both reasons for a rewrite.  It seems that there are both
> problems now.
>
> What in my opinion is insulting is to
>
> 1) Add the OpenSSL code to Sagemath, knowing full well it is against the
> licence. How anybody can justify such action is beyond me.

Note: We're not talking about adding *any* OpenSSL code to SageMath.
Sage would never be distributed with code from OpenSSL.  We're only
talking about providing a means to download and install it from
source, and about shipping binaries that includes it.