Hi,

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 12:35:51PM +0100, Erik Bray wrote:
> It seems to me those should be among the most important, if not *the*
> most important tickets to farm out to patchbots across multiple
> platforms.  If it made sense to I would set my Windows patchbot to
> prioritize these among all others.
>
> New versions of packages are far more likely to break across
> platform-related issues than, say, updates to non-platform specific
> Python and Cython code.
>
> What is the reason for this, and is there anything I can do to improve
> this situation?

IIRC, this was for security reasons. I am +1 to allow those tickets to be
patchbot tested, as an option (not by default).

I personally run my patchbot within a VM (actually i have to since i have
to emulate 32-bit architecture for Sage Debian Live), so i will volonteer
to test such tickets. I have an automatic way to bootstrap such patchbot
VM (more-or-less every supported versions of Debian and Ubuntu, both 32
and 64 bits, if there is a strong need, i could work on supporting more
distros and architectures), so i am thinking on providing ready-to-run
patchbots for users that do not want to take risks for their computers,
nor loose time in setting such things up.

Note however that it is not clear what to do with such tickets: by default
a patchbot runs the tests only with respect to the packages installed by
its owner. In this case, if the owner did not install the corresponding
package (which will always be the case if the ticket is about a new
package), the patchbot will report a possibly wrong false positive.

But, if we want to add an option to let the patchbot install a new package
proposed by some ticket, after testing that ticket, the patchbot will be
in a different state than before to test other tickets, in this situation,
the patchbot will report possibly wrong false negative.

So, at the end, we have an issue with our packaging system: there is no
systematic way to uninstall a package.

Ciao,
Thierry