I have 8.1.rc2 installed and my default terminal emulator

echo $TERM
rxvt-unicode-256color

The <Backspace> key, the history keys (up/down arrows) as well as the
(left/right arrows) are messed up when using the Sage built python.

./sage -python
Python 2.7.14 (default, Nov 16 2017, 09:21:42)
[GCC 5.4.0] on linux2
>>> sss

Pressing <Backspace> 3 times erases the 'sss' but the cursor moves 3 spaces
to the right and then the (left/right) arrow keys don't function.
Everything works as it should from the Sage prompt and my system python
works as expected. If I unset TERM or work in a normal 'xterm' the Sage
python functions as expected. The issue seems to be with how the Sage built
python interacts with my default terminal emulator.