On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 10:34:03 AM UTC+1, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> see the attachment (all the ~59 screens) in
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-devel/3sN7gVTdNuY/Bj-dcnIWAwAJ
> I suppose that in order to feed it into Maxima one needs to replace '=' by
> ':' and add ';' at the end.
> (and drop the 1st line)

An easy way of getting a little closer to feeding this directly to maxima
is by using a real expect interface, rather than the maxima_lib instance.
By executing
sage: maxima(ex).trigsimp()
it gets fed into a proper maxima instance, without any of the special
settings that go into the sage calculus version of maxima. We still get an
error:

TypeError: Error executing code in Maxima
CODE:
    sage4 : trigsimp(sage0)$
Maxima ERROR:

Polynomial quotient is not exact
 -- an error. To debug this try: debugmode(true);

it seems something goes wrong in signalling and catching this error in
maxima_lib. Perhaps we're missing a catch in our maxima_lib routine to
execute maxima code?