On 21/12/2017 13:15, John Cremona wrote:
On 21 December 2017 at 12:29, Vincent Delecroix <20100.delecr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I definitely get your point but completely disagree with the compromise. I
think that functions that behave differently depending on the arithmetic
nature of the object should simply not exist. The worst being

     sage: 4.sqrt().parent()
     Integer Ring
     sage: 2.sqrt().parent()
     Symbolic Ring

In other words my motto is: the parent of the ouptut should be determined
by the parent of the input.

If I am not mistaken, one can take a degree 2 extension in the example by
considering the ring of Puiseux series in u = (2t)^(1/2). Not very
convenient to work with because of denominators but well defined

  (2t + t^3)^(1/2) = u + 1/16*u^5 - 1/512*u^9 + ...

Would it be acceptable?

That is exactly  the "compromise" which I was suggesting!  I called it s
instead of u.  Sorry for not being clearer.

My fault, I misread your post. Sorry.