Ok, I figured it out after some debugging.
It turns out that /usr/include/limits.h defines LINE_MAX only if
__POSIX_VISIBLE is at least 2.
In cygwin, when one compiles using the flag -std=c++XX (here XX is any
number, in our case 11), __POSIX_VISIBLE is set to 0.
This is solved throughout most of the sage installation by using
-std=gnu++11 (e.g. see setup.py).
However, in the brial library, the makefile explicitly adds -std=c++11,
which causes this error.

Thank you very much for your assistance,
Eran