On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 5:04:26 AM UTC-6, Erik Bray wrote:

> How do we feel about large patches full of whitespace cleanup?  Lots
> of Sage modules have stray whitespace, and my editor usually
> automatically removes it when I open files (this is a personal
> preference that I have to live with though).
>
> Usually when preparing patches this means manually removing such
> distracting whitespace cleanup, though all that means is then removing
> it again, and again, and again... (or sometimes I will just leave it
> in a commit if it's just one or two lines).
>
> It might be nice to just clean up a whole lot of this at once, but I
> think that would require some coordination so as to not create too
> many trivial merge conflicts...
>
> What about more of a middle ground where any file you touch and your
editor does whitespace cleanup, then you can merge it into that ticket.
That way it puts conflict in files that would possibly have conflicts
anyways, but it does not make your workflow harder. Although in a broad
sense, I do not oppose a big cleanup, but I do slightly worry about it
creating too many undue trivial merge conflicts with branches that
otherwise would work, pre-(beta-)release or otherwise.

Best,
Travis