On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 6:25:15 PM UTC+10, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

> What are the permissions of the directory where you installed Sage and
> what is your umask?
>
> The file permissions on my desktop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) are the same as my
laptop (Ubuntu 17.10). However, there is a umask difference

desktop: 0002
laptop: 0022

When I set the umask of my laptop to 0002, then I can run doctests.
However, 0002 makes the created files/directories *more* permissive by
making it group writable. So this seems like a bug in Sage to me; at least
it contradicts the error message...

Best,
Travis