On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 08:05:21AM +0000, Simon King wrote:
> Hi Thierry,
>
> On 2018-04-06, Thierry <sage-googlesu...@lma.metelu.net> wrote:
> >> 1. Is it really true that Sage currently does NOT block internet
> >>    access during doctests, i.e., has returned to the situation more
> >>    than three years ago?
> >
> > I am not sure internet access was ever blocked.
>
> Actually I was pretty sure. But when re-reading my three year old
> comments on #18514, I now think that I had misunderstood the behaviour
> of doctests in relation with internet.
>
> > Anyway, the recommended
> > way to deal with doctests and internet is to tag every doctest that
> > requires internet access with:
> >
> >     # optional -- internet
>
> I think that wouldn't be right. Reason: I tested the package
> 1. while the laptop had no internet connection whatsoever
> 2. while the laptop had Wlan connection at my home
> 3. while the laptop had ethernet connection at my office.
>
> In all three settings, all tests pass. Thus it is NOT the case that the
> tests depend on the presence or on the absence of internet.
>
> Setting 2. was faster than setting 2. So, getting cohomology data from
> the internet did help in the tests, but didn't change the eventual
> outcome. I do not see that as a problem.
>
> Setting 3. was extremely slow. However, I had different kind of trouble
> with the ethernet in my office (e.g., with thunderbird or even with
> shutting down my laptop). So, I have reasons to think that my spkg isn't
> to blame for it. I now try to convince the reviewers on #18514 that the
> internet issue doesn't need to be addressed.
>
> On the other hand, if there is an easy way to automatically block
> internet access during tests then this might help to get a well-defined
> test setting.

What is wrong with adding the following to the tests that try to connect
to the internet, whether they absolutely depend on it or not ?

        # optional -- internet

Also, i am not sure that:

- people are happy that someone somehere is aware each time they are
  doctesting Sage.
- servers offering online databases are happy to waste CPU and bandwidth
  for Sage doctesting.

Ciao,
Thierry