I have compiled SageMath from the source, and I have installed the Sage
Kernel into an existing Jupyter install that I have on my system with the
following line from this source
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39296020/how-to-install-sagemath-kernel-in-jupyter>:

jupyter kernelspec install --user
./SageMath/local/share/jupyter/kernels/sagemath.

I have Ubuntu 16.04, so I have installed texlive texlive-math-extra
texlive-xetex. I also added to my .bashrc the following line: export
TEXINPUTS="SAGE_ROOT/local/share/texmf//:" . Then I checked that it worked
with a few test lines. Of particular importance to me is to make sure that
I can export a Sage Notebook as a pdf, which looks best if I select, in
Jupyter, File -> Download as -> PDF via LaTeX. The Greek shows up fine in
Notebook, but not when exporting, and I think I need to configure Notebook,
but I'm not sure how.

I've attached a very simple document, where I declare a Greek letter
variable, and then show it. This renders the greek letter in Notebook, but
not in the PDF. Any thoughts on what to try?