On 14 April 2018 at 17:59, jplab <jeanphilippela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe I just give my basic knowledge about SCIP and ZIB.
>
> Le vendredi 13 avril 2018 11:20:25 UTC+2, bluescarni a écrit :
>>
>> http://scip.zib.de/academic.txt
>>
>> """
>> 1. This license applies to you only if you are a member of a
>> noncommercial
>>    and academic institution, e.g., a university. The license expires as
>>    soon as you are no longer a member of this institution.
>> """
>>

> Perhaps including the very first sentence of the license would put a bit
> more context:
>
> ''This license for ZIB software is designed to guarantee freedom to share and
> change software for academic use, but restricting commercial firms
> from exploiting your knowhow for their benefit.''

That's a declaration of intent, which is fine and all, but what matters is
the rest of the license, where the exact terms are laid out.

> ... this somehow reminds me of some long discussions I've seen pass by on
> sage-devel. Anyhow, the
> discussion here is about announcing that it would now be possible to use
> SCIP inside Sage. I think this is
> a good news. As far as I know, it has been possible to use other Ma's
> softwares inside Sage, and I don't
> see why it couldn't be the same with SCIP.
>
> According to Gurobi, they are the best non-proprietary LP optimization
> package that you can get. [see p.17 of http://www.gurobi.com/pdfs/ben
> chmarks.pdf]
>

> So basically these acedemics, I imagine funded with taxpayers' money, are
>> preventing the general public to use software they paid for?
>>

> As for ZIB, in 2016, it had almost 8M€ in third party funding, see
> http://www.zib.de/institute/zib-in-numbers
> If you go in the Research section, and you know that it is a German based
> institute, you may guest some companies that fund them.
>
> That said, of course, the publish "Publish or Perish" has a role to play
> in the choice of license. But since I
> don't want to spend time rewriting an optimization package, I will gladly
> cite them and say  that I used their
> software.

Actually what pissed me off the most was the fact that apparently you have
to be a "member of a noncommercial and academic institution" to use SCIP
for free (and "the license expires as soon as you are no longer a member of
this institution"). So, again, if you are, say, an interested citizen, an
independent researcher or a developer who does open source in his/her free
time while being employed in the industry as your day job, apparently you
cannot get access to a piece of software you paid for with your taxes (or,
you have to pay for it twice - perhaps this sounds familiar to a certain
other situation going on in academia :)). This seems to be a completely
gratuitous restriction to me.

Cheers,

  Francesco.