Actually in sage-on-gentoo I reduced that quite a bit. In vanilla we have
"argv": ["/home/fbissey/sandbox/git-fork/sage-8.3.b0/local/bin/sage",
"--python", "-m", "sage.repl.ipython_kernel", "-f", "{connection_file}”]
That is, sage-devs go to quite some lengths to launch sage’s python with the
sage
ipython_kernel module.

In sage-on-gentoo I just do this at the moment:
{"argv": ["python2.7", "-m", "sage.repl.ipython_kernel", "-f",
"{connection_file}”]

François