I have met this problem, which occurs when OpenSSL isn't available
systemwide (there is a saga somewhere in sage-devel's archive, around
spring 2017 IIRC...). I have personally checked that Sage's pip is (or was,
at the time) unable to use SSL when compiled against Gnu TLS alone...

This should be fixed when I come around to implement Trac#24107
<https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/24107>, which has become somewhat
urgent...

In the interim, could you try to install OpenSSL and its development files
a,d reinstall Sage's pip ?

--
Emmanuel Charpentier