Hi Eric,

On 2018-08-09, Erik Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But it got me thinking: Maybe it would actually be nice if most Sage
> classes--or at least those inheriting from SageObject, had some
> version of this .help() method.  Although we already do a decent job
> advertising the ? and ?? syntax, having  .help() method is inherently
> more discoverable (an the help methods in sandpiles even advertise the
> ? syntax for further details).

I think such method would be fairly useless.
Reason: If a user seeks help about X by trying X.help() rather than
help(X) apparently knows about methods, as a corollary knows about
Python, and as a corollary knows about ? and ??.

While a .help() METHOD seems useless to me, a help() FUNCTION might be
useful for newbies. Say, help(X) could print a pointer to the "?" syntax
(so that the newby will soon be a bit less newby) and then print the doc
string of X.

Best regards,
Simon