On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, Eric Gourgoulhon wrote:

      I just downloaded 8.4 and ran make. Makefile says "The default
      target
      ("all") builds Sage and the whole (HTML) documentation.", but
      actually
      plain "make" just compiled the binary, not docs. Can someone
      confirm this?

I do *not* confirm this: for me the following

git clone https://github.com/sagemath/sage.git
cd sage
MAKE="make -j8" make

did build Sage 8.4 and the whole documentation.
This is on Ubuntu 18.04.

OK. I downloaded the package (with browser, not with git), run "make" without -j, and I have Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which is, IIRC, former Ubuntu 14.04 upgraded twice.

And now after make dist-clean it compiled also manuals and everything is up and running. Let's suppose this was a heisenbug.

--
Jori Mäntysalo